This is the reconstructed tower of Fort Frederick, dating from about 1900.The plane tree stood in the parade ground near this tower. There have been three forts on this site on John's Bay, named by John Smith of Jamestown (VA) fame.
This area has been an important meeting place for several thousand years. The Wawanoc people used this peninsula as a hunting ground and there were plenty of oysters, lobster and other resources here. European fishermen had a seasonal fishing station here, probably prior to 1600. The earliest date given for year round settlement here is 1607, the same year as the Jamestown and Popham colonies.
The site was abandoned twice due to various wars. It was rebuilt for the final time in 1729 by David Dunbar and several Scots-Irish families.